I thought I would finally write a review on the book I've been quite obsessed with the last 2 months. In fact, to give you an idea of how obsessed I have been, I have been going through this book in discipleship with six of my guys, along with doing a seminar based upon it at U of I Cru's Fall Getaway, among many other plugs to anyone that will listen to me :-)The main thrust of DeYoung's book on Godly decision-making is that God cares much more about how we make a decision and much less about what our decision ends up being. The catch is, if our decision involves sin or sinful motives, by no means is that where God's will would have you go. God cares most that we love Him and walk with Him, living daily by going to the cross of Jesus, worshiping Him for who He is and for saving us from our sinfulness, raising us into a righteous standing before a perfect God. If we are doing this, which very much involves seeking Him, we are free to make choices in our lives.
According to the author, God is not going to give you a "yes" or a "no" answer for the everyday decisions we face. The same goes for big decisions in our lives, such as who we marry, what career to take, and when to buy a house or have children. The key here is that God promises to lead us by the Holy Spirit as Christians, but He never promises to give direct answers. Moreover, there is not a corn maze for us to track down God's will for our lives. His will and what He most desires is that we walk a life devoted to Christ. As for where he wills us to go directionally, he doesn't so much care. Now, of course, the God of the Universe cares for us, but at the end of the day, if you are not in sin, walking in manner worthy of His calling, he doesn't care what you choose.
Isn't that refreshing?!?! Personally, I think this is the biggest insight of the entire book and it is truly liberating, as the subtitle tells us the book will be! Our lives do not have to be an exhausting search for God's will for our lives. He doesn't have a hidden path, filled with secret Bible verses, that he expects us to miraculously discover.
I would highly recommend this short read for everyone out their that faces decisions, which means you! It is a quick, engaging read that you will not be able to put down.
"Christian Living/Practical Life/Decision Making" (5 of 5 STARS)
No comments:
Post a Comment